Ziti with Roasted Zucchini
- 2 pounds medium zucchini, trimmed, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled, halved
- 8 large shallots, halved, thinly sliced
- 7 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 2 1-pound boxes ziti, cooked, drained, 3/4 cup cooking liquid reserved
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil, divided
- 3/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss zucchini, garlic, shallots, 5 tablespoons oil, and crushed red pepper in bowl. Spread on 2 large rimmed baking sheets; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast vegetables until tender, turning occasionally, 30 to 35 minutes.
Toss cooked pasta in large bowl with 1 tablespoon oil. Transfer half of pasta (8 cups) to another bowl; cool, stirring occasionally. Cover; chill (reserve for mac and cheese).
Place remaining pasta in large pot. Add roasted vegetables, 1/4 cup pasta cooking liquid, and 1 tablespoon oil; stir over medium heat until heated through. Add 3/4 cup basil and cheese. Toss, adding reserved cooking liquid by tablespoonfuls to moisten if dry. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer pasta to large platter. Sprinkle pasta with remaining 1/4 cup basil.