Spiced Nectarine Cake
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
- 1 1/4 cups self-rising flour
- 5 medium nectarines (about 1 3/4 pounds), halved, each half cut into 4 slices
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously butter 9-inch-diameter springform pan. Using electric mixer, beat 1/2 cup butter in large bowl until fluffy. Add 3/4 cup sugar and beat until blended. Beat in eggs 1 at a time, then lemon juice and lemon peel. Beat in flour until smooth. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
Arrange enough nectarine slices atop batter in concentric circles to cover completely; press lightly to adhere. Mix cinnamon and remaining 3 tablespoons sugar in small bowl. Sprinkle over cake
Bake until cake is golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour (50 minutes for plums or pluots). Cut around cake to loosen; remove pan sides. Serve cake slightly warm or at room temperature.