Filet Mignon with Gorgonzola Sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons minced canned chipotle chiles (from canned chipotles in adobo)
- 8 6-ounce filet mignon steaks
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add shiitake mushrooms and sauté until soft, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and stir 1 minute. Add whipping cream and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer sauce until thickened, about 4 minutes. Stir in Gorgonzola cheese and chipotles. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD Sauce can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.
Sprinkle steaks with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in another heavy large skillet. Cook steaks in skillet until brown on both sides and cooked to desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Rewarm sauce. Transfer 1 steak to each of 8 plates. Pour sauce over steaks and serve.